Saturday, November 21, 2009

You kiddin me....

So a couple of mornings ago I was heading out to the tree stand. It was a great morning about mid 40's and a little wind out of the southeast. Thought it COULD be a great morning to harvest one of God's beautiful creatures with a sharp stick. As the sun came up I had been in the stand about an hour or so when I heard some steps in the leaves below. Slowly stood up and grabbed my bow then turned and look below and a deer was behind some brush and little trees. When I caught a glimpse of part of his head and saw some horns and looked pretty good. First buck of the season and rut should be coming pretty soon so optimism was high, been waiting for this moment for over a month now. He was a little downwind of me and about that time caught a hint of my scent. He slowly backed out, made a half circle, and walked out where I could see him about 30 yds or so. I was looking at him through some thin branches when he stopped in a opening turned broadside to me and I saw a nice rack, except he only had half a rack the right side was about 5 pts well out side the ears and looked good. The left side was gone, zilch, zero, nada, poof, M.I.A. So I let him go on his merry and lucky way, and that's all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ferg. FYI - I'm thinking it is illegal to harvest a one-sided antler buck in Grayson County...Good think you passed it up! Whatever that is called...You should ask Clayton! (I do not know the hunting terms :)

    ReplyDelete